Thursday 5 November 2009

Do you hate your clothes?

Like half the population, I really hate clothes shopping. But unlike the other half of the population I don't really have a love/hate relationship with my clothes. But the Bible says that I should, somehow...

Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. Jude 22-23.




There is so much "clothing" imagery in the scriptures. We are clothed in Christ, the perishable will be clothed with the imperishable, we are to put off the old and put on the new etc... The most startling of all is the "white robe" passages in Revelation 6-7 given to those who overcome, who have washed themselves in the blood of the lamb. Perhaps someone could come up with a 2WTL outline based on the clothing motif!?!

So many different sorts of metaphors, but what is the sense here? I'm thinking out loud. What about the Old Testament?

Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. The angel said to those who were standing before him, “Take off his filthy clothes.” Then he said to Joshua, “See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you.” Then I said, “Put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him, while the angel of the LORD stood by. (Zechariah 3:3-5; see also 3:1-2; Joshua is snatched from the fire by an angel just as Jude 22 commands us to do)


I'm still thinking it through, but I must hate my dirty, daggy, disgusting clothes more and more and love the righteousness of Christ that God puts on me. This is indeed a strong metaphor. I may dislike clothes shopping, but I am called to hate sin.

While I normally don't like the expression, love the sinner, hate the sin, in Jude 22-23 it takes on a new meaning. Show mercy to someone and yet fearfully hate the sin they are entangled in. We fearfully hate the sin, because it is not to be messed with.

Perhaps we are not only meant to hate our own clothes, we are meant to fearfully hate other people's clothes as well. These are just first thoughts. Any insights out there?

NB. I think it is important that we don't judgmentally hate other people's sin, but that we fearfully hate other people's sin.

1 comment:

claira said...

Hi thanks for sharing your information through the article.