Thursday 5 November 2009

The devil wears pride-a

A few years ago I read part of Milton's Paradise Lost with one of my very valued MTS trainees. (I can be a bit random in my "training").

I am intrigued by Milton's take on Psalm 2. For Milton, as far as I could "see", Psalm 2 forms material for the fall of Satan.



Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the LORD
and against his Anointed One.
“Let us break their chains,” they say,
“and throw off their fetters.”

“I have installed my King
on Zion, my holy hill.”
I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:
He said to me, “You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.
Psalm 2.1-3,5-6 (NIV)



Most of us take Psalm 2 to have at least two referents:
1. The nations rise up against the anointed one at Zion, King David, and he conquers them. (1000 BC)
2. The nations rise up against the anointed one at Zion, Christ, and he is/and will conquer them all (AD 33 until the judgment of the world)

But Milton adds a third referent. What happens on earth in people has already happened to an extent in the heavenly realms.
3. At the first revelation to them of God the Son, spiritual forces, including angels under the leadership of Satan rebel. They are "happy" to answer to God, but will not submit to his Christ. At the dawn of time, it was envy of Christ that led Satan to fall.

From book 5 of Paradise Lost. (Tip: It is so much easier to understand if you read it out loud and don't get bogged down on the details you don't understand)

Hear all ye Angels, Progenie of Light, [ 600 ]
Thrones, Dominations, Princedoms, Vertues, Powers,
Hear my Decree, which unrevok't shall stand.
This day I have begot whom I declare
My onely Son, and on this holy Hill
Him have anointed, whom ye now behold [ 605 ]
At my right hand; your Head I him appoint;
And by my Self have sworn to him shall bow
All knees in Heav'n, and shall confess him Lord:
Under his great Vice-gerent Reign abide
United as one individual Soule [ 610 ]
For ever happie: him who disobeyes
Mee disobeyes, breaks union, and that day
Cast out from God and blessed vision, falls
Into utter darkness, deep ingulft, his place
Ordaind without redemption, without end. [ 615 ]
So spake th' Omnipotent, and with his words
All seemd well pleas'd, all seem'd, but were not all.

Satan, so call him now, his former name
Is heard no more in Heav'n; he of the first,
If not the first Arch-Angel, great in Power, [ 660 ]
In favour and præeminence, yet fraught
With envie against the Son of God, that day
Honourd by his great Father, and proclaimd
Messiah King anointed, could not beare
Through pride that sight, & thought himself impaird. [ 665 ]
Deep malice thence conceiving and disdain,
Soon as midnight brought on the duskie houre
Friendliest to sleep and silence, he resolv'd
With all his Legions to dislodge, and leave
Unworshipt, unobey'd the Throne supream [ 670 ]
Contemptuous, and his next subordinate
Awak'ning, thus to him in secret spake.


Satan and all his army leaves and plots for war. What happens next is truly astounding! I encourage you to read on. How could Satan think he could stand against God?

Although the details are missing in the Bible, what Milton offers is a godly imagining of the events - steeped in Biblical allusions. What do you like about Milton's treatment of the fall of Satan? What does the Bible say?

Does it make sense of Psalm 8 as well and Hebrews 2? Satan was envious of a man who would be placed over all the angelic beings?

No comments: