Friday 21 November 2008

Studying Again

I spent a full day studying today at Moore College. I haven't done that in almost five years. There were two or three of us in the library at any given time with about five staff on hand serving us. (My hat goes off to the staff for running a first rate library.) With Thai Times Nine for lunch - I really, really enjoyed my day.

I'm studying for an exam next Wednesday on Jeremiah for my MTh. This exam is set just for me. I have to know the Hebrew of Jeremiah 1-8; 25-26; 30-36; 42; 50-51 and have read about 20 books and articles on it.

I preached a ten week series on Jeremiah and wrote some Briefing bible studies a couple of months ago, but have done the studying in the last week around the edges of my work. I'm not sure whether I should have done the exam before preaching the sermons... maybe next time I'll do that.

I've learned quite a few things today and my Hebrew is getting better. Most of the tomes I have been reading have been struggling with why Jeremiah seems so mixed up - why his message seems to have so many threads and tensions. It's almost like the structure of the book itself reflects the times, the relationship of Yahweh to his people and Jeremiah's own psyche - tormented, conflicted, hopeless and yet still hopeful. Yahweh was bringing about the suffering, crucifixion and burial of Israel and pointing to its resurrection to come.

If I pass this exam - which I may not, considering how little work I've done on it - I'll do another subject next year. Next year I want to look at Resurrection Power in Paul's thinking. You know, the power of Jesus' resurrection in the present lives of all of us who believe. I'm not sure as a Christian community we have grasped that one enough.

So next year I will probably preach a series on it ... but I'll do so after and not before my exam. I hope it will be a blessing to both me and my wonderful congregation.

Actually my study day is not over ... just had a break to eat with the family and jot down some thoughts. Back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did you end up going in your exam AB?

I'd love to hear your series on Resurrection power in Paul. Let me know so i can get a CD of it!

Miss you guys :-(