Friday 21 November 2008

The Charge I Took

I was ordained four years ago as an elder (ie. presbyter) in the the Anglican Church of Australia. This commission has always stuck with me. With slight modification, the same charge holds true for anyone who holds an office as pastor, elder, youth leader, Bible study leader, husband or parent. The language is old. It comes from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

Have always there printed in your remembrance, how great a treasure is committed to your charge. For they are the sheep of Christ, which he bought with his death, and for whom he shed his blood. The Church and Congregation whom you must serve, is his Spouse, and his Body.

And if it shall happen that the same Church, or any Member thereof, do take any hurt or hindrance by reason of your negligence, ye know the greatness of the fault, and also the horrible punishment that will ensue. Wherefore consider with yourselves the end of the Ministry towards the children of God, towards the Spouse and Body of Christ; and see that ye never cease your labour, your care and diligence, until ye have done all that lieth in you, according to your bounden duty, to bring all such as are or shall be committed to your charge, unto that agreement in the faith and knowledge of God, and to that ripeness and perfectness of age in Christ, that there be no place left among you, either for error in religion, or for viciousness in life.


Please pray for me and for all those in leadership.

2 comments:

Gordon Cheng said...

How dare you prick my conscience in this way.

Is there a loophole?

Unknown said...

It is a massive call and commitment isn't it. I certainly don't feel up to it all of the time. However I don't see myself as the lone pastor of my congregation ... I see many people as helping to pastor and protect the flock.