Saturday 24 January 2009

Beautiful

I spoke on physical appearance the other week at church. I only scratched the surface. One area I touched on was on how we all (and women in particular) should adorn ourselves with good deeds rather than expensive clothes, how we should seek our esteem from God and not others.

I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. (1 Timothy 2:9-10 )

No less than six new women volunteered to teach scripture on that week alone! It may be a coincidence or it may be that God strengthened the decision they had already made. But it did remind me that people at our church serve God in so many ways and that (in particular) there are many truly beautiful women at our church.

May all God's people dress and accessorise themselves with good deeds as befits those who profess to worship God. There is great dignity for all human beings when we walk his way and not our own. Christian men grow stronger as their bodies grow weaker and Christian women grow even more beautiful.

4 comments:

hardygreenwood said...

I still note that there's no women blog writers on your blog roll.

Unknown said...

Not true... the one at the bottom is the one I put in first. It is the blog of someone very close to me - my wife. ;)

Also 'the fountainside', 'sola panel' and (I think) the 'anglican church league' are all co-authored by women.

But ... I'll certainly add some more.

hardygreenwood said...

good - just keepin' ya on your toes :)

Merrin said...

Hi Andrew - enjoy your blog... and just thought for a second that the picture of Spurgeon to the right on your blog was you with a beard!! At least you'll know what you would look like!!